In most cases you will want to sync only the enabled users from AD into SharePoint. There is one extra step needed to do this.
BELOW IS A SUMMARY FROM THE LINK
To import user profile information of user accounts that are enabled in Active Directory to SharePoint Server 2010, follow these steps:
1. On the Manage Profile Service page, click Configure Synchronization Connections.
2. On the Synchronization Connections page, click the Active Directory connection that you want to edit, and then click Edit Connection Filters.
3. On the Edit Connection Filters page, follow these steps:
1. In Exclusion Filter for Users, change the Attribute drop-down to userAccountControl.
2. In Exclusion Filter for Users, change the Operator drop-down to Bit on equals.
3. In the Exclusion Filter for Users, select Filter box typeto 2.
4. Click Add.
4. Click OK.