After I installed VS2010 SP1, I am now missing the SharePoint 2010 project templates. Slightly annoying to open projects that used to work fine and seeing this:
The project type is not supported by this installation.
Solution is relatively simple, rebuild the project and item caches in Visual Studio, wish they had this option in the menu system or at least a little more intuitive, but it is what it is
You can try the steps below to reset VS templates:
- Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE
- Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder
- Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator
- Run devenv /InstallVSTemplates
- Registers project or item templates that are located in <Visual Studio installation path>\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\ or <Visual Studio installation path>\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\ so that they can be accessed through the New Project and Add New Item dialog boxes.
- Run devenv /Setup
- Forces Visual Studio to merge the resource metadata that describes menus, toolbars, and command groups, from all available VSPackages.
If you are still unable to open the project:
You can download and install VS 2010 SDK (or VS 2010 SP1 SDK) which contains new project templates such as Item Template template and Project Template template
Visual Studio 2010 SP1 SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21835
Visual Studio 2010 SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=2680