The favicon, the icon that represents the website, is an important part of any page. Specifically in SharePoint, if this icon is left unchanged it leaves the default bright orange icon.
To maintain the branding of your webpage in your favicon, follow these steps.
- Upload your favicon file to your images library.
- Publish and Approve your icon through the SharePoint Publishing Workflows
- Open your master page in SharePoint Designer 2010.
- Find the <SharePoint:SPShortcutIcon> tag in the HTML header.
- Change the "IconUrl" tag to the relative URL of your favicon.
- Save and check-in your master page.
- Publish and Approve your master page through the SharePoint Publishing Workflows.