Firefox does not really work well with SharePoint, biggest complaint is that you have to type in passwords every time you visit a SharePoint site.
This problem has mostly been solved SP2, Firefox works really well with SharePoint now. Coming to the problem of accepting windows credentials, just follow the steps below
- Open up Firefox
- In the address bar, type about:config and hit enter
- Firefox will warn you about making changes, just click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!”
- You will be presented with a list of preferences.
- In the filter bar, type NTLM
- Check to see “network.automatic-ntlm-auth.allow-proxies” preference has “TRUE” under value.
- If not double click to change the value to “TRUE”
- After doing this Double click on “network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris” and enter URLs which your users want to accept windows credentials, just the top level URL is good enough.
- For example http://sharepoint You can add as many sites as you like by separating them with a comma “;”.
- That’s it, This will allow Firefox to accept windows credentials for above mentioned sites
The only places where Firefoxt fails is when some of the controls require ActiveX like uploading multiple documents and explorer view.
Microsoft promises more support with SharePoint 2010 for Firefox and Safari.