Tag Archives: Search Settings

SharePoint 2013 | Performance Level in Search Service


So I’m running a proof-of-concept test farm of SharePoint 2013 on a little VM to test out some of the features.  Because I have limited resources on the server I tend to throttle down a lot of the services to the minimum amount in order to run.  A big part of that with SP2007/2010 was reducing the search performance.  You would think that same would apply in SP2013.  However, recently when I was monitoring the server I noticed that search indexing was humming along (Everyone remember the search indexer and what a resource hog it can be?).  A quick peak under the hood, and we can see that we still have the ability to throttle search based on the parameter here:





Specifies the relative number of threads for the indexer performance:

Reduced: Total number of threads = number of processors, Max Threads/host = number of processors

Partly Reduced: Total number of threads = 4 times the number of processors , Max Threads/host = 16 time the number of processors

Maximum: Total number of threads = number of processors

The type must be one of the following values: Reduced, PartlyReduced, or Maximum.

Doing a little more digging, looks like it doesn’t really do anything except with the crawler component, and even then the effect is pretty minimal in my single server farm.  Reminds me of the story of the switch in the server room from years ago.  Every week at end of business the switch was moved to the off position and left off for the weekend.  First person to come in Monday morning flipped it to on.  This apparently happened for years.  it wasn’t until we were moving the data center that somebody tried to figure out what the switch did.  So, opened the panel to track down the wires in order to move the switch… turns out it wasn’t even connected.  I think that is what Microsoft just did to the Search -PerformanceLevel switch.

SharePoint Search Engine: Remove the DispForm.aspx and Use Direct Links In Search Results

We are utilizing our search functionality much more in SharePoint and one of the more annoying things we found was how PDF files are treated by default. In the search results, the link goes to the DispForm.aspx for the item rather than directly to the item.

The obvious fix is to install an iFilter. Unfortunately, this isn’t always an option. For us, the performance and crawl delay issues didn’t make up for the benefit of having these documents indexed.

1. Add PDF as a File Type

Within Central Admin, go to your Search Administration (Manage Service Applications > Search Service). From there click on the File Types link under Crawling on the left:


If pdf is not listed, click the New File Type button and type pdf (no period needed) in the File extension box and click OK:


2. Restart the Search Service

This is a very important step. I originally tried to skip it to spare myself some hassle and ended up having to repeat the crawl below. You will need to go to each server running the SharePoint Server Search service and stop it. You can do this through the command line or the Services panel under Administrative Tools:


Once off on all boxes, just go back through and start it again.

3. Reset Your Index

Back on the Search Administration page within Central Administration you will want to click on the Index Reset link under Crawling on the menu on the left:


Press the Reset Now button. Remember that this should be done at a time when your environment is not under heavy use or when search won’t be needed since search results will not be available until after a full crawl completes.

4. Perform a Full Crawl

If you have a pretty standard search setup, then you probably only have one content source. If not, then you already know how to start the full crawls for each of them. If you’ve just got the one, then from the Search Administration page within Central Administration click on the Content Sources link under Crawling on the menu on the left. Hover over your content source and choose Start Full Crawl in the dropdown menu:


After the crawl completes (This could be hours depending on the size of your farm), things should be working as expected. No more DispForm.aspx links in your search results!

Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream. Error ID: 6482

Recently I was working with some search setting configurations and a full MSCryptic error was popping up on one of the SharePoint 2007 server farms. When trying to access the Search settings page in Central Administration’s Shared Services Provider, the SSP gives this error:

"Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream."

It ends up that it’s an issue with the SSL certificate that is installed on the "Office Server Web Services" IIS instance. Somehow it gets corrupted when:

  • The server that is running Office SharePoint Server 2007 has the query role in a server farm.
  • The server farm was updated with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
  • The roles of the query server and the index server are not on the same server in the server farm.

Microsoft knows about the issue and has a fix right here:

You cannot browse to an SSL-secured Office SharePoint Server 2007 site or to the Search Settings page for a Shared Services Provider