Month: November 2012

SharePoint–Setting the Super User and Super Reader Accounts for All WebApplications in the Farm

The object cache stores properties about items in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. Items in this cache are used by the publishing feature when it renders Web pages. The goals of the object cache are to reduce the load on the computer on which SQL Server is running, and to improve request latency and throughput. Recently, when reviewing the event logs on the farm, I started seeing these warning messages pop up Object Cache: The super user account utilized by the cache is not configured. This can increase the number of cache misses, which causes the page requests to consume unneccesary system resources. To configure the account use the following command ‘stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname portalsuperuseraccount -propertyvalue account -url webappurl’. The account should be any account that has Full Control access to the SharePoint databases but is not an application pool account. Additional Data: Current default super user account: SHAREPOINT\system Unfortunately, what it doesn’t seem to specify is which web application does not have the super reader and super user accounts set up.  While we could walk through and check each web application per this technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758656.aspx that is rather tedious and time consuming. An easier way of finding out which web applications are set up with the accounts and what accounts it is using is by running this simple PowerShell script: Get-SPWebApplication | %{Write-Host "Web Application: " $_.url...

Read More

SharePoint 2010 – Customizing the Refiner Web Part Item From Count to Percentage

So I’ve spent some time playing with setting up search driven applications recently.  One of the things I’ve noticed is that the SharePoint Refiner Panel WebPart is a great tool for narrowing down search items based on the refiners that are available.  I love the way the Site and Result Type refiners will show the number of documents.  However, there are times when OOB the refiners don’t seem to show document counts; Or times wen document counts aren’t as useful and we’d like to use percentages instead.  With some quick changes to the XML we can add additional functionality to the Categories in the Filter Category Definition. Here is the basic Template for Categories: <Category Title="string" Description="string" Type="TypeName" MappedProperty="PropertyName" MetadataThreshhold="value" NumberOfFiltersToDisplay="value" MaxNumberOfFilters="value" SortBy="Frequency|NumericValue|Name|Custom" SortDirection="Descending|Ascending" SortByForMoreFilters="Frequency|NumericValue|Name|Custom" SortDirectionForMoreFilters="Descending|Ascending" ShowMoreLink="True|False" MoreLinkText="string" LessLinkText="string" ShowCounts="Count|Percentage"> … </Category> The trick is to edit the results page you want to customize, and select Edit Web Part on the Refinement Panel.  Under refinement is the “Filter Category Definition” field, you’ll want to click the more button in order to bring up the whole thing: Generally I like to take the results, cut and past into a decent XML editor and then update the XML from there.  A complete definition can be found here. So in my case, I wanted to show percentages for the “Modified Date” refiners.  I changed the ShowCounts attribute to ”Percentage” as a value,...

Read More